. . . . .

. . . . .

Jun 27, 2010

Summer Reading



The hunt is on for the best books to fill the lazy days and warm nights of summer.  It may be a lasting effect of school days past or perhaps just a quirky habit. I don't try to understand it, I just have given in to it for years and will again this summer. As usual, I started by searching the "Times Best Seller" list. There was the typical array of literature including several memoirs, stories of the link between food and life, and some dramatic tales that were, for sure, too heavy for a light summer read. A few possibilities, and some never ever would I read that in a million years, sent me searching even further. Perhaps the Christian best seller list would offer just the thing. I found that Max, James and Joyce had been busy writing some new stuff and the "Five Love Languages" was still hanging around on the list from summer reading years ago. 

Finally, I just decided I would leave it up to God and said,  "Lord, point me to the perfect book for summer." As is always the case with God, He surprised, wowed and awed me with the answer. He pointed me to something I first started reading in the summer of 1978. I had not planned on reading it then, in fact, I didn't even own a "readable" copy nor did anyone I knew! Still, by God's grace, I spent the summer reading cover to cover and being transformed by what I read and came to believe. He pointed me to the best selling, and life transforming, book and section of it ever; the New Testament's Gospel of John. It was there that I was literally wowed by words I had read many times before, but now were once again jumping off the pages and right into my heart. 

Perhaps, you like me, are on the hunt for a summer best seller. Let me suggest to you that you search no further than the tattered and worn Book that you visit every day. Start by jumping to John, then ask the Lord to provide you a life changing summer reading experience that you will remember for years to come.

 "I am not possessed by a demon," said Jesus, "but I honor my Father and you dishonor me. I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge. I tell you the truth, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death."John 8:49-51

No comments: