. . . . .

. . . . .

Feb 13, 2010

The Dance of Life



Truth be known, I am not much of a dancer. OK, I can't dance at all. Still, my favorite song is "I Hope You Dance". If you are not familiar with the lyrics you can read them following this post. The song touches my heart because it speaks to the dance of life. Life is a dance that you can "sit out" or "dance in". The song always brings tears to my eyes because when I hear it I think of my family. My prayer for them is that they will not sit by and miss the dance of life, but rather will experience the greatest dance with the greatest dance partner.

Life is a dance. You can spend your life dancing with all kinds of people. You can do your best to keep up with them and even become breathless spinning in the activity they drive. There are some that you will find yourself line dancing with. You may feel as though you have to be in step with them and mimic everything they do. You may chase after their dreams and perhaps even find yourself imitating their style.Eventually, you will realize the dance they have to offer is quite boring, repetitive, and pointless.

Chances are you will encounter those that will convince you to swing dance. If you are wise you will limit the time you spend in this style of dance. It is exhausting trying to keep up with the people in your life that spin you around, and ask you to jump constantly to meet their needs. They will want you to be their partner in maintaining an often too fast pace. Sure, this is fun and exciting at times, but after a while it gets to be too much and you start resenting the dance and the dance partner.

You will undoubtedly spend time with many people square dancing. These dance partners are those that you know all your life but see only occasionally. You know what I mean. You dance with them when they appear in your life and then they leave for a time only to return again later. No matter the time between visits, the two of you pick up the dance where you left off, as if you never missed a beat.

All these dancers make life interesting but the best dance in life is when you dance with your soul mate. Being with your soul mate makes the dance of life sweeter. You will enjoy the same tempo, style, and fancy foot work. Time will stand still when you two are dancing and the world will be your dance floor.

Even so, all the dances you will dance with will fall short of the greatest dance and the greatest dance partner - waltzing with Jesus. In fact, if you take the time to get close to Jesus and waltz with Him every day, the rest of life's dance will be a dance of grace. You will know all you need to know and have all you need to live the dance of  life with purpose and strength. When you are waltzing with the Lord, you can keep step with any dance, and any dance partner, life throws at you.You will find no other dance partner can lead you like the Lord can, and you will never grow tired of dancing with Him.

I hope you dance :)

I Hope You Dance (Lyrics written by Mark D Sanders and Tia Sillers)

I hope you never lose you sense of wonder. You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger. May you never take one single breath for granted. God forbid love ever leave you empty-handed. I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean. Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens. Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance and when you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance. Never settle for the path of least resistance. Livin' might mean taking chances but they're worth takin'. Lovin' might be a mistake but its worth makin'. Don't let some hell-bent heart leave you bitter. When you come close to sellin' out reconsider.Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance and when you get a chance to sit it out or dance...I hope you dance.


No comments: